The investigation into Alec Baldwin’s deadly shooting could involve interviews with more than 100 people — with the main focus on how live bullets ever made it onto a movie set, the sheriff leading the probe said Thursday.
“The key questions that we’re focusing on during our investigation is how the live rounds ended up on set, who brought them to the set and why they were on the set,” Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza told “Good Morning America” host Robin Roberts.
“As far as we understand, live rounds should not be on set … everybody that we’ve spoken to knows that live rounds should not be on set,” he said.
“Why they were there is going to be the main question,” he told Roberts, saying they “haven’t” yet fully figured out how it happened.
“We’ve got some initial statements,” he said — while stressing that it will likely be a lengthy process that could “broaden” into looking at complaints already raised over some of the key crew members’ work on previous movies.
“There was probably close to 100 people total that were on-set, so interviews are continuing,” he said of the New Mexico set where cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, died last Thursday.
“When we interview people, more information comes to light so it may turn out to be more interviews than just the people on scene,” Mendoza told “GMA.”
“We may delve into other safety issues on other sets, or other sets that maybe the armorer or any of the other staff worked. So this could go on … it may broaden,” he said.
The sheriff repeated his claim that there was clear “complacency” by crew members responsible for ensuring gun safety on the set.
“Just the facts that have come to light so far during the interviews in the investigation, there was complacency, that’s obvious,” he said.
“I think there was some disorganization and some safety issues and protocols that weren’t properly followed. But again, those are issues that we’ll be focusing on in the investigation,” he told “GMA.”
So far, no charges have been filed over Hutchins’ death, and on Wednesday Mendoza confirmed that Baldwin remains “an active part of this investigation.”
“He is obviously the person that fired the weapon,” he told a press conference.
That could potentially include charges for “The Shadow” star, Santa Fe District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said.
“No one has been ruled out at this point … All options are on the table,” she told the presser.